What the book's about: Rising Strong: The Reckoning. The Rumble. The Revolution. by Brene Brown is about what it takes to get back up after you fall.
Why I read this book: I read Rising Strong for a discussion with my colleagues at work.
My favorite quotes from the book:
- "Perfection is about the furthest thing in the world from badassery."
- "We own our stories so we don't spend our lives being defined by them or denying them."
- "The most dangerous stories we make up are the narratives that diminish our inherent worthiness."
- "The most compassionate people I interviewed also have the most well-defined and well-respected boundaries."
- "We don't judge people when we feel good about ourselves."
- "One of the greatest challenges of becoming myself has been acknowledging that I'm not who I thought I was supposed to be or who I always pictured myself being."
- "When we stop caring what people think, we lose our capacity for connection. But when we are defined by what people think, we lose the courage to be vulnerable."
Who I'd recommend this book for: Fans of Brene Brown will certainly love this book. However, Rising Strong is a great book even for those unfamiliar with Brene's previous work. I enjoyed it far more than Daring Greatly, largely because of it's storytelling. It's unique blend of research with stories and practical advice make it a compelling read.