This year, our junior high Sunday School class is learning about each of the five promises they'll be making at their confirmation:
Posts tagged “Jesus Gap”
What the book's about: Jesus is Better Than You Imagined is about how the God we've construed (oftentimes in our image) compares to the God of Scripture. It's a book that juxtaposes Jonathan's own stories of Jesus with those found in...
A male youth worker recently bemoaned the fact that he could think of only two female youth workers to invite to speak at an upcoming event. He told me how he believed it was important to have a female youth worker on stage for all the female...
This year, my adult leaders and I are reading and discussing Sticky Faith together. At our first meeting, we wrestled with the chapter on the Sticky Gospel. As part of this, I asked leaders to share their reaction to how teens defined what it...
Earlier this year, I had the privilege of speaking at The Progressive Youth Ministry conference.
I went, genuinely excited not only to be sharing my research about what high school teens believe about Jesus, but also eager to try a new youth...
If you pick up my copy of Youth Ministry in a Multifaith Society by Len Kageler, you'll notice that nearly every page in the last three chapters is dog-eared. It's that good.
In this book, youth ministry researcher, professor, and practitioner,...
Recently, one of my new adult leaders asked me, “Why don’t we talk about the Holy Spirit more with our high school students? It seems like we’re very focused on Jesus.”
Truthfully, this is a pretty fair assessment of my high school ministry: It ...
For the last eight months, I've been immersed in a research project, investigating what high school students in my denomination (ELCA) believe about Jesus. Among other things, I asked hundreds of students, “Why did Jesus die?”
The majority of...
Jen Bradbury on Youth Ministry
Jen serves as the Minister of Youth and Family at Atonement Lutheran Church in Barrington, Illinois. A veteran youth worker, Jen holds an MA in Youth Ministry Leadership from Huntington University. Jen is the author of The Jesus Gap: What Teens Actually Believe about Jesus (The Youth Cartel), The Real Jesus (The Youth Cartel), Unleashing the Hidden Potential of Your Student Leaders (Abingdon), and A Mission That Matters (Abingdon). Her writing has also appeared in YouthWorker Journal, Immerse, and The Christian Century. Jen is also the Assistant Director of Arbor Research Group where she has led many national studies. When not doing ministry or research, she and her husband, Doug, and daughter, Hope, can be found traveling and enjoying life together.More about Jen
A Mission That Matters: How To Do Short-Term Missions Without Long-Term Harm
Unleashing the Hidden Potential of your Student Leaders
The Real Jesus
The Jesus Gap
What Teens Actually Believe About Jesus
Based on National Research
- Review: Sustainable Children's Ministry by Mark DeVries & Annette Safstrom
- Review: Called by Mark Labberton
- Five roles of adult leaders in large groups
- Guest Post: Four ways to cultivate partnerships with those you seek to serve by Emily Gorz
- Review: Grace Like Scarlett by Adriel Booker
- In defense of structure
- Guest Post: What I learned from being THE leader on a summer mission trip by Joe Yucha
- Processing what you learn
- Review: Consider Your Calling by Gordon T. Smith
- Guest Post: What I learned as a mission trip adult leader by Andy Waters
- Review: Raise Your Voice by Kathy Khang
- Guest Post: The impact of a high school mission trip by Lindsey Coleman
- Review: Ready or Not by Drew Moser and Jess Fankhauser
- Why you shouldn't try out adult leaders on mission trips
- 16 years ago
- The responsibility for a shared past and future
- Review: Developing Emotionally Mature Leaders by Aubrey Malphurs
- Adult leader’s training: The one thing you shouldn’t skimp on
- When the way is clear
- Review: Sex, Jesus, and the Conversations the Church Forgot by Mo Isom