A few weeks ago, we looked at 3 types of parents that you'll work with as a youth pastor. Today, we'll continue looking at strategies for dealing with each type of parent. Here are 7 strategies for working with airplane parents, those parents who...
Archive for July 2015
Twice over the weekend, people told me that I should see The Good Lie, a 2014 movie starring Reese Witherspoon about some of the lost boys of Sudan – children who fled Sudan as refugees without either parent.
As someone who's stood in a refugee...
In youth ministry, summer is the prime time for attending camps, conferences and mission trips. Regardless of what type of summertime activity you participate in with your youth, it's important to process your experience with your teens. Here's...
Eight weeks ago, I had a baby girl, Hope.
My pregnancy was wrought with all kinds of trouble and fear.
I hoped it would be unashamedly excited for me,...
Last week, we looked at 3 types of parents that you'll work with as a youth pastor. Starting today, we'll look at strategies for dealing with each type of parent. To begin, here are 7 strategies for working with helicopter parents, those parents...
Discussion Questions based on Alexia Salvatierra
1. Describe your reaction to Pastor Alexia's initial story about the gang member.
2. How aware are you of the immigration crisis that Pastor Alexia described? What has influenced your awareness...
Discussion Questions based on Eric Barreto
1. Eric said, “My faith taught me many wonderful things.” What wonderful things has your faith taught you?
2. According to Eric, “My church also taught me one big lie: That I was not different. That I...
Discussion Questions from the Ford Field Intro - Night 2:
1. Describe your reaction to the spoken word from tonight.
2. What did you learn about Detroit from the spoken word?
3. The spoken word artist talked about God being on an extended lunch...
Discussion questions based on Dean Luke Powery
1. Read Mark 16. Answer Dean Powery's question: “What kind of ending is this for Mark's gospel story?”
In what ways is this ending unresolved?
Why do you think Mark leaves his story unresolved?
Discussion questions based on the “Why?” spoken word
1. “Why did you go to Detroit?” How would you answer that question? What expectations do you have for this week?
2. “This isn't just a gathering. This is a movement. This is a place where we...
For those looking to process tonight's opening session in Ford Field at the ELCA Youth Gathering, here are some discussion questions you can use with your youth ministries.
1. Bishop Eaton said, “The places the world calls godforsaken are...
The other day, I ran into a youth ministry graduate who's now coaching summer sports. His job brings him into lots of contact not just with his students (who range in age from 5 – 15), but their parents. As we talked, he began reflecting on his...
I majored in Electrical Engineering in college – a major that seemed logical for me since I was good at math and science and knew engineering could lead to a lucrative job.
The only problem was that engineering was definitely not the career God...
Truthfully, I imagined I'd be reading much more during my maternity leave than I actually am. Between my exhaustion and a steady-stream of visitors, I only read three fiction books this month: The Bright Side Of Disaster...
Jen Bradbury on Youth Ministry
Jen serves as the director of youth ministry at Faith Lutheran Church in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. A veteran youth worker, Jen holds an MA in Youth Ministry Leadership from Huntington University. Jen is the author of The Jesus Gap: What Teens Actually Believe about Jesus (The Youth Cartel). Her writing has also appeared in YouthWorker Journal, Immerse, and The Christian Century. When not doing ministry, she and her husband Doug can be found hiking, backpacking, and traveling.More about Jen
The Real Jesus
The Jesus Gap
What Teens Actually Believe About Jesus
Based on National Research
- Review & Giveaway: Alongside by Sarah Beckman
- An interview with Michelle DeRusha about Katharina & Martin Luther
- A modern-day version of the Good Samaritan
- 7 things not to do during seasons of change
- Addressing Parental Concerns
- Review: Katharina and Martin Luther by Michelle DeRusha
- 7 ways to support your church during seasons of change
- What I'm Into (December 2016 / January 2017 Edition)
- Stuff You Can Use: A Discussion about Refugees
- Review: Small Talk by Amy Julia Becker
- What's saving my life right now (2017 edition)
- Budgets are (not) boring!
- Stuff You Can Use: Beautiful Things Prayer Station
- Extreme facts about refugee resettlement
- The importance of international mission trips in the age of Trump
- What would Jesus have me do?
- Stuff You Can Use: One in Christ Prayer Station
- Review: Good Christian Sex by Bromleigh McCleneghan
- Prioritize what others need
- Stuff You Can Use: Happy Baptismal Birthday Prayer Station