Earlier in this Student Leadership Team Basics series, we talked about how the role of your student leadership team is to create a culture of welcome in your youth ministry. One specific way you can do this is by having your team recognize and...
Archive for May 2015
On Sunday, my 7th and 8th grade teachers trickled into the Youth Room after Sunday School. On this particular week – the last of our program year – they'd also been joined by one my high school youth ministry's alumni who remarked there was a...
Letting teens influence my youth ministry's teaching calendar means that sometimes, we talk about topics I have no interest in or even real knowledge of; Topics that if, it were solely up to me, would never in a million years make our teaching...
I'm someone who needs a lot of encouragement and affirmation.
What I've learned after 13 years in youth ministry is that most teens do, too.
As a result, I try to be intentional not only about giving teens encouragement and affirmation, but also...
Some of my good friends are long-term medical missionaries in Nepal. Every once in a while, I'll get an e-mail from them saying, “We popsicle stick prayed for you this morning!”
Every day our friends – along with their three young children – pray...
Today, I'm linking up with Kate Motaung's Five Minute Friday. The rules: Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. This week's prompt: Meet.
Dear Baby Girl -
Yesterday, I was at work, discipling a teenager who I...
For the last several years, I've participated in the One Word 365 project, selecting a word to anchor my year. My word for this year has been hope – chosen during a scary pregnancy related stint in the hospital in January.
In addition to...
I recently received a message from a friend expressing excitement over the birth of my firstborn. To be honest, the word, firstborn, jarred me.
I am, indeed, expecting a Baby Girl in just a couple of weeks who – assuming all goes well - will be...
Since student leadership is really about discipleship, it's important to meet with your student leadership team regularly.
In my context, I meet with my student leadership team 4-6 times over the summer (plus an overnight leadership team retreat)....
I read three fiction books during April: Joy Fielding's Someone is Watching - a good mystery; Katherine Center's Get Lucky - a purely fun piece of chick lit, perfect for someone like me who's currently pregnant; And my...
As a youth pastor, I'm privileged to walk with teens as they transition from high school into college. Typically, teens leave high school with huge dreams and aspirations, feeling as though they can conquer the world. All too often, four years...
Jen Bradbury on Youth Ministry
Jen serves as the director of youth ministry at Faith Lutheran Church in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. A veteran youth worker, Jen holds an MA in Youth Ministry Leadership from Huntington University. Jen is the author of The Jesus Gap: What Teens Actually Believe about Jesus (The Youth Cartel). Her writing has also appeared in YouthWorker Journal, Immerse, and The Christian Century. When not doing ministry, she and her husband Doug can be found hiking, backpacking, and traveling.More about Jen
The Real Jesus
The Jesus Gap
What Teens Actually Believe About Jesus
Based on National Research
- Review & Giveaway: Alongside by Sarah Beckman
- An interview with Michelle DeRusha about Katharina & Martin Luther
- A modern-day version of the Good Samaritan
- 7 things not to do during seasons of change
- Addressing Parental Concerns
- Review: Katharina and Martin Luther by Michelle DeRusha
- 7 ways to support your church during seasons of change
- What I'm Into (December 2016 / January 2017 Edition)
- Stuff You Can Use: A Discussion about Refugees
- Review: Small Talk by Amy Julia Becker
- What's saving my life right now (2017 edition)
- Budgets are (not) boring!
- Stuff You Can Use: Beautiful Things Prayer Station
- Extreme facts about refugee resettlement
- The importance of international mission trips in the age of Trump
- What would Jesus have me do?
- Stuff You Can Use: One in Christ Prayer Station
- Review: Good Christian Sex by Bromleigh McCleneghan
- Prioritize what others need
- Stuff You Can Use: Happy Baptismal Birthday Prayer Station